Mr. LeBlanc's Latin IV and V Blog

Just another Edublogs.org weblog

April 28, 2010

Liberal vs. Conservative: Roman Politics in a Nutshell

Filed under: Uncategorized @ 9:33 pm

Good morrow friends!

Alright so I chose (and I think I’m the only one that did) Roman politics, liberal vs. conservative. Now two big names in the political game were liberal Julius Caesar and conservative Cicero. Because the topic calls for two different parties, I’m going to have two explications. One on a Caesarian (is that even a word?)  speech and the other Cicero. I’m not sure what those speeches will be yet, but I will find them. Anyone remember the Cicero speeches we translated last year?

I’m not so worried about the presentation as I am the explication. If anyone’s ever seen the Daily Show or the Colbert Report, then you’d know that they enjoy making fun of politics,  especially when political parties collide. I plan on creating my whole presentaion off of their antics. There’s one episode of the Daily Show that I’m really leaning towards using at the moment.

Aaaaand that’s all I’ve got for now.

EDIT: Was I suppose to say why I chose this topic? Sorry. I just find politics really amusing at times and I enjoy studying ancient cultures. And when I saw “politics in a nutshell” keyword “nutshell” I was sold.

EDIT2: http://www.firstthings.com/blogs/postmodernconservative/2009/06/24/cicero-and-conservatism/ ignore this I just needed a way to reach this site again

12 Comments

1.   taylorw2 — April 29, 2010 @ 2:10 am    

You have some really great ideas for your multimedia presentation. As for the Cicero translations, last year we translated Catiline’s Audacity and Why Not Put Catiline to Death (you should be able to find those in the textbook). Also, there was a lot of information on Cicero’s political background, which might help you out with your report. Good luck with your explication and the rest of your project.

2.   brianad — April 29, 2010 @ 3:13 am    

Woah! You’re going to do two explications? Seems stressful but I’m sure the extra work will pay off. And I really like your ideas for the multimedia presentation; I love political satire! And since your topic is politics, maybe you could use Cicero’s Book I, 3. That’s the paragraph I’m using, and it kind of shows his political beliefs because it talks about how he wants the republic or whatever to stay the same, or something to that effect. Good luck!

3.   keril — April 29, 2010 @ 3:27 am    

I really like where your going with your presentation and can’t wait to see it because I’m sure it will be extremely entertaining. Also, about the explications, I think thats a good idea to use two different explications to be able to compare and contrast their ideas. The only Cicero translation I remember was Catiline’s Audacity, but I have my old translation and notes on Cicero if you run into any problems. GOOD LUCK!

4.   tarar3 — April 30, 2010 @ 1:57 am    

Okay, first off your presentation seems awesome. The Colbert Report and other similar shows are pretty funny so it should be cool to see how you incorporate that with your topic. Secondly, I like how you are doing two explications, comparing a “Caeserian” speech with a Cicero one; that will definitely help break down your topic and bring out the details. For your presentation, I don’t know if you were going to do this in the first place, but I think using real people instead of cartoons will bring out the funny factor more. Also, it would be quite interesting if you showed “clips” of Cicero and Caesar giving their speeches like they do in news shows. And if you wanted to make it funny, the actors or actresses playing these two men could so a comical reading and over do the speeches.

5.   christiet2 — April 30, 2010 @ 9:04 pm    

Your presentation fits you perfectly Ms. WMCA! LOVE LOVE LOVE. Cicero and Caesar were also great choices for politics since they are on opposite sides of the spectrum. I also like Tara’s idea of giving clips of the speeches or i dont know put something random in there? Well, I am definately looking forward to watching this presentation. Have fun and good luck!

6.   Jennifer — May 1, 2010 @ 10:52 pm    

Sorry Amanda, my old Latin binder is very lost. I began to wonder if I even had a binder last year… I can’t wait to see your project because you really seem to know what you’re doing. Well, for the project anyway. But hope you have fun with your nutshell project and sorry I don’t have any speeches for you.

7.   anneliesed — May 2, 2010 @ 6:10 am    

Hey Amanda,
    I think everyone’s said the same thing about using a Cicero excerpt from his Catiline tirades, which would greatly help illustrate the conservative side of your topic. The only writings from Caesar that I know are his Gallic War journals – which, from what I remember, weren’t that interesting, and we only did one last year… Anyway, I know the genius capacities of your creative and media knowledge, so I know your presentation will be mind-blowing. Maybe there you could really play up the Caesar/liberal side of your topic since it won’t be present in the explication (I think you told me you only got Shakespearean Caesar poems). Huzzah!

8.   angelac2 — May 2, 2010 @ 4:05 pm    

I haven’t translated Cicero since sophomore year so I’m no help in that area. I’m not sure where that Latin III binder went… but your idea of contrasting the politics of Cicero and Caesar through two explications sounds like it will work (though it’ll be more work for you). Also, your idea for the media presentation is very creative, and I know you will make it awesome since you’re so tech-savvy. I think it would be funny, though, if you played all the roles in your video; then we could see the differences between the two guys’ politics by seeing how you changed for each. Well, good luck!

9.   jleblanc — May 2, 2010 @ 8:38 pm    

It sounds like some political satire is just what the doctor ordered for this topic. I think, to make it easier on yourself, you could include some historical research on Caesar and save the explication for just Cicero (read the government passage in the Latin III book too). Just make sure you make the major issues both platforms dealt with clear (and the fact that Rome had been in a state of civil discord for quite some time).

10.   Jennifer — May 3, 2010 @ 2:08 am    

http://www.bartleby.com/268/2/11.html

this has the speeches against catiline and they are translated into latin

11.   Jennifer — May 3, 2010 @ 2:08 am    

english, the speeches are translated from latin into english
    :)

12.   kellyv2 — May 4, 2010 @ 1:09 am    

Once again, you baffle me with your creativity. Maybe if you could choose Catiline’s audacity and have the guy who’s supposed to be the reporter interviewing Catiline, and then you could pick a Caesar speech and have a second interview about that and make them ask really controversial questions at the time. Maybe even have the interviewer question Caesar and ask him whether or not he really was trying to gain ultimate power. I think we did translate a Caesar work about a war? So you could possibly use that and interview about the war. I am sure you already have tons of ideas, but I hope it helps a slight bit.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI